Friday, March 20, 2009

Homeschooling High School


High school at home? Most definitely! Many parents approach me with concerns about their ability to teach the high school subjects, but I assure them - and you - that it is not the daunting task that it may seem. There is a vast array of resources available to homeschooling parents of high school students - ranging from self-study courses, to tutoring settings, to traditional texts taught by parent or by video - and don't overlook the rewarding approach of learning alongside your student. I never thought I would be learning Latin at my age, but I have found it both fascinating and rewarding to study along with my sons. Now when we tour historical sites, it has become a game to translate the wording on the seals and official plaques we encounter.


Let's face it, many of us feel inadequate to "teach" high school because we don't remember much of the material that we were supposed to have learned in our high school years. That's really not a problem. As I've worked through courses alongside my sons, I've refreshed some knowledge, discovered new areas of interest and gained some new understanding of knowledge that I had retained. That was beneficial for me, but it also demonstrated that learning can be a life-long adventure.

You might find it helpful to hear input from several Sonlighters – including me – from the Staying the Course podcast on the Sonlight website. Listen and be encouraged!

By the way, the handsome graduate pictured above is my youngest and last one.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I think I learned more homeschooling than when I was actually in school.

    ReplyDelete