Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Top 10 Reasons We Homeschool Our Children

As promised, I will finish the list I started with my last post ...

6.  To build intimate and meaningful relationships with your children in order to show them how much you love them.  I learned early on in my homeschooling adventure than one of the side-effects of classroom socialization is that my children thought they needed to spend most of their time with other children their own age.  Little brother just wasn't a 'cool' playmate, and hanging out with mom wasn't ideal either.  But I saw this attitude change as we discovered new aspects of our relationships and we began to enjoy each other's company.  More time together also made it easier to be a student of my children - to observe them and discover their strengths and weaknesses, their likes and dislikes - which made my parenting more effective.

7. To share with your children the common, everyday joys of life and be there when they need you most.  I was there when my younger boys learned to read, I was there when they saw and grasped a new concept in Math or Science - and it was a delight!  I was also there when life handed them disappointments, and I could encourage them to keep seeking, to keep knocking on the door.

8.  To be your children's mentor, spiritual leader, role model, friend, and teacher.  A lot of hats to wear, I know.  Yet consider how hard it would be to fill these roles for your child if you weren't with them throughout the day - or if you were having to undo more negative accumulation from classroom and peer experiences.

9.  To protect your children from the negative influences they may encounter outside the home.  Now don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying to place your children in a cuccoon that completely shields them.  We didn't completely keep them away from negative influence, but were better able to protect them by choosing the venues and balancing their exposure with our guidance and affirmation.  As they grew older, we allowed them greater choice, while providing the sounding board for discussions of what they experienced and the appropriate response to it.

10.  To instill in your children a life-long love for learning and to show them that learning is not boring, but exciting.  This love for learning is, in my opinion, the result of our efforts in #3 - meeting your child's unique needs.  When you help your child identify his learning style, and provide the tools for him to be successful, then your child's innate curiosity and desire to learn isn't squelched, but is rather fueled for the future.

You've made a good choice!  The road won't be easy, and there will be days that you question your decision, but look again at the reasons for the path you have chosen, and be encouraged.

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment